BECOME A PARTY DIRECTOR
Thoughts from a Party Director- One Year On…….
I came across Sticky Fingers Cookery Parties after doing a bit of internet research into children’s cookery clubs and parties. I continue to work hard in my clinical career in the NHS, but cooking has always been my hobby and is something I am keen to pursue more. I also have a vested interest in helping children to develop cookery skills, ever since I became aware that cookery in schools is nothing like the subject I was taught!
The ethos of Sticky Fingers as a fun and educational concept sowed a seed, and, after a couple of long conversations with Janet, I arranged to observe the party model in the form of a workshop.
From then on I was hooked, and my journey as a party director began.
Janet has done a huge amount of groundwork, providing the party director with a tried and tested model as well as all the detail we need to achieve a well-run, as well as fun, party. The template for each party package is well-structured and uncomplicated and I would advise others that it is there for a reason- practice at home first and with each party will come additional personal adjustments to help perfect the timing and the flow. However, it is also important to remember that every party is different, as we are dealing with different groups of children (and parents!). Being able to adapt to different situations and adjust timing is an important skill which I think I already had, but continues to develop.
Our party packages provide focused continuous activity for the children with the emphasis on the cooking and completion of the whole product. For example, a cup cake party involves making the cakes from scratch, decorating the cake box in which the cakes will be taken home, and finally – each child decorating their own set of cakes.
The simplicity of the model makes it easier for parents, from choosing their party package to the provision of food and drinks and the complete entertainment of the children. With the emphasis on practical (with cookery skills and craft activities), traditional (the simple party food) and structured (children are kept busy for the whole 2 hours) …children have fun in a stress- free environment for parents!
Over the last year I have had a lot of fun doing the parties, meeting children and parents, and getting great feedback. I have been hugely supported by Janet who enables independent working under the professional umbrella of the Sticky Fingers business. We have good communication and are continually discussing new developments. I would recommend Sticky Fingers to others who may be considering turning a hobby into a business, it was absolutely the right decision for me.
9 May 2017
Like to run your own business
by sharing your creative cookery skills?
The tried and trusted Sticky Fingers brand is looking for people who want to start a family-friendly part-time business.
The Sticky Fingers Cookery Parties format has been a great success since it launched in 2008. If you would like to become your own boss, and work flexible hours with lots of training and support, then becoming a Sticky Fingers Party Director could be the perfect next step for you!
You don't need previous teaching experience or any special cooking skills. If you enjoy working with children, and have some basic cookery knowledge, Sticky Fingers and its founder Janet Cousins can provide the rest.
As a Sticky Fingers Party Director you can grow your business at a rate that suits you - there are no monthly targets to achieve and you can work the parties around your other commitments. You will also be buying into a brand that has already enjoyed great success in the Midlands
Before creating the Sticky Fingers brand, Janet worked as a tutor and Programme Manager for Derbyshire County Council Adult Education Service. Food hygiene training and family learning cookery were two of her teaching specialities. These firm foundations, and the success she has enjoyed in her own business, gives her all the knowledge and expertise to help and support you as you build your own cookery party business.
Key Features of Sticky Fingers Cookery Party Director
- The Sticky Fingers Cookery Parties are a proven concept with lots of growth potential.
- A Party Director is entitled to operate within a specified geographical area
- A Start-up kit is available for £850 which provides all of the equipment you need to get you started together with some initial publicity material that you can distribute around your area.
- All initial training to run the parties is provided free of charge and an extensive operations manual is included.
- A Food hygiene certificate is required and training with a nationally recognised qualification can be provided for an additional cost.
- You are required to market the parties locally, and Sticky Fingers will provide a corporate marketing campaign
- Marketing fees are at present £175 per quarter year, and are due after the end of the first month of trading and every three months thereafter. This is a contribution towards the cost of running, maintaining and upgrading the Sticky Fingers website and maintaining the Sticky Fingers social media strategy, together with the upgrade of any existing graphic design for adverts. All advertising and marketing of the parties and cookery sessions on a local level will be the responsibility of the Party Director
- Incoming enquiries for parties in your area received into the corporate Sticky Fingers website are directed straight to you to follow up.
- A commission of 15% of gross sales is payable monthly to Sticky Fingers Cookery Parties
- Running costs for the parties have been fully accounted for including costs of ingredients, consumables and some fixed costs such as insurance and travel.
- There are no target plans in the first 12 months and thereafter they are by negotiation, therefore you will not be made to feel under pressure.
- The party director can accept party bookings at any time that is convenient to you.
- The profits you will make from parties varies depending on the numbers of children and the package they choose, but an average of 15 hours per week can translate into a gross income of £12,900 per annum
- A range of Sticky Fingers branded goods is available to sell which will give you the opportunity to push your profits even higher – commission is not payable to Sticky Fingers for these sales
Then contact Janet to arrange an informal chat
Great school holiday cookery sessions
My 2 boys aged 7 & 4 attended Sticky Fingers cookery course during the school holidays and had a thoroughly great time. I thought that the class offered a great balance in terms of keeping the children constantly occupied whilst learning through a fun focused based activity. Janet is great with the children in helping them understand how to get the best out of their baking experience and would certainly recommend to all my mummy friends.